Thursday, August 04, 2005

Judah's Stats and Visitors and a Brisket Sandwich That Wouldn't Die

Judah is still continuing to stabilize. There are some minor setbacks, but they are mostly things that can be treated. His blood pressure remains strong and steady, his arterial blood gases (ABGs) have been slightly better each day. His nurse, Jay, tells me that Judah's CO2 levels (carbon dioxide) are really good now - just a tick out of normal range. He attributes that to an adjustment in Judah's respirator setting. They've increased the respiration rate (RR) from 32 to 34. His fluid output from his lungs seems to be diminishing and there doesn't seem to be much if any bleeding today. His gastric bleeding has also subsided. All of these are fairly positive. His kidneys, however, continue to confound. His nephrologist is considering putting Judah through temporary dialysis to help take some of the pressure off of his kidneys and to ensure that Judah's blood is properly cleansed. The dialysis machine is ugly, I'm told, but the treatment is tolerable and temporary.
Yesterday, Hilda and Al Ashley were kind enough to bring out some food for us from Pico Kosher deli. I didn't have a chance to eat the brisket sandwich that they brought for me until this afternoon, more than 24 hours after they bought it. I know it's risky to eat something that hasn't been refrigerated, but I couldn't help myself. It was delicious, and I haven't had to go to the bathroom yet. For you non-believers out there, trust me, Kosher food has You-Know-Who on its side.
Many visitor have been with us today, including Judah's old friend Cindy Chau, Zioni, Danielle and Les Eber. Alissa brought her psychic friend Richard "I Knew This Would Happen" Shave, and Grandpa. Richard, oddly enough, predicted Alissa's return from New York to the exact day. Weird.
When Judah recovers, I've been thinking that it would be great to create a book of this blog to give him, complete with everybody's comments. It would be a great idea to be able to publish the blog as a book, with entries on one side and comments on the other.
People ask us how we are doing. We are doing fine. We have a wonderful group of friends and family who keep us afloat. They/You enable us to keep Judah afloat. Who ever knew that my chronic unemployment would come in handy? My mother, my sister and I have been fortunate enough to spend most of our time with Judah, and with each other. It makes the unbearable bearable, and the intolerable tolerable.

9 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm off to my meeting of "B.A." --- Blogs Anonymous. I can't get enough of this thing. If I don't check it 200,000 times a day I get the shakes (all you out there know EXACTLY what I'm talking about). Benj: hope the brisket stays down. Otherwise, sounds like you have a solid stream of big love flowing into City of Hope. The book idea is most excellent - I think Judah will love it. It's a story unto itself. K.I.T.

 
At 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the idea of the scrap book. I am totally willing to put my creative juices into helping the White team out. Glad to hear Judah is doing a little better. There is nothing better than a good Brisket sandwich.

Glad you enjoyed it... Judah my thoughts are with you and I love you very much,

Amy

 
At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Benji,
You are so funny. I'm glad you enjoyed your unrefrigerated brisket sandwich - and that it stayed down! I'm sure that would have been a very interesting and descriptive blog if it hadn't stayed down!
I think making a book out of this blog is a fantastic idea!!
Judah, I'm glad you are doing better. One day at a time. Just keep on fighting and healing.
Let me know if I need to look in on Pixie or bring real strawberry frozen yogurt to Abe.
Love,
Janet

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Judah -


This is the kind of report that I like to hear.

Dialysis sounds daunting, but as a temporary measure with lots of upside, it makes plenty of sense to me.

Have a good restful night.

Love, Uncle Robby

 
At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Aunt Martha, Judah, Issi & Benji,
I am continually amazed how strong you all are. I want to thank you all again for this blog -despite being 3,000 miles away I feel connected. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Love,
Karen

 
At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely a book, created for Judah alone or published for a wider audience---with Judah's permission of course. Among all the other amazing things about this blog is your FABULOUS writing, Benji.
Love and hugs to all, Barbara Ravitz

 
At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Judah, Martha, Benji and Issy,

Tomorrow I am going to visit the Meltzer twins. I will come back and relate our conversation.

Love to you all,

Libby

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Judah,
I have special greetings, love and prayers from Patrice. She is now chief surgery resident at UCLA and she remembers giving you a rough interview to join our team.
So happy to hear that the lungs and the stomach are healing and stable. As you know, we can deal with the kidneys.
Thanks to all of you guys for the blog...we feel very connected.
Our "girls" start arriving tonight. We have the sleeping bags all lined up.
We love you and pray for you and continually think of you.
Suzanne

 
At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Kodmur. The book is a wonderful idea and I, too, am totally addicted to the blog.
Thanks for sharing some positive news tonight. I will sleep better and dream of a healthy Judah.

Love, Jill Franklin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home