Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Joshua

Some of you will remember a few nights ago when I met the pastor who was singing in the middle of the night. He was tending to a young boy named Joshua who is right next door to Judah. Joshua, only 13, passed away this morning.
I clearly misunderstood the pastor about the boy being abandoned. His entire family was with him, plus a cadre of ministers, friends and caregivers. Early this morning he came close to dying but he was successfully resuscitated. When I asked Pastor Johnson how he was doing, the pastor told me that he was in God's hands. I told him that I had put out an internet request for prayers on Joshua's behalf and he was truly grateful.
This morning, before all of this happened, my mother and I walked past Joshua's room. His young brother was asleep sitting in a chair with his head laying upon Joshua's lap. My mother whispered to me, asking me to bring some of Stella Stricke's cookies over to the brother. I said I would, but I didn't want to wake him. Then, thank God, Mom left for an hour to run some errands. I wouldn't have wanted her to see and hear what happened when Joshua passed away. A dozen people wailed at once. A nurse came by and closed Judah's door, but we could still hear and feel the cries.
It is an indisputable tragedy to see someone so young, so loved, die this way. It had a palpable impact on the entire floor. The nurses and doctors walked around somber faced. Judah's nurse disappeared for a while, asking another nurse to cover. "When I come home to my husband at night, sometimes I say 'I just need a hug,'" she told me.
When my mom returned, I told her what had happened. She immediately reached out to the family and offered to help in any way she can. She offered her professional contacts to the pastor on behalf of the family, and she has been busy make phone calls ever since. It's truly amazing how the same cultural and religious divisions which separate us all outside of here disappear as soon as you enter the City of Hope. My God becomes Our God. My Prayers become Our Shared Hope. Your Sadness becomes Our Understanding.
Although Joshua has left us, perhaps it is not too late to say a prayer of gratitude and hope for his family, and for his spirit. We are all always such a short distance away from the chasm that is infinitely deep, from which there is no returning.
Seeing and hearing the grief of Joshua's family today has made me intractably grateful for Judah's life. As bad as things are, today, we are the lucky ones.

12 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Benjie and Martha,







love you all,
Rachel

 
At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful and tragic story. Your Mother is amazing. So are all of you.

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ben -

Amen, v'amen, v'amen.

Love, Uncle Robby

 
At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Benji,

That is so beautifully written, I can feel as though I'm sitting there with you all.

Keep the faith!!

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Benjie,
What you wrote is so amazing. Our thoughts are with your family each day and we are so sorry for the loss of this precious young boy. Take care of yourselves.
Michelle, David and Hillary

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Benji,
Your words were so touching and sad, yet at the same time beautiful. I am sure Joshua will always remain alive in the memories of those who loved and treasured him.
Love,
Aunt Marsha

 
At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Benjie-
Thank you for your sensitivity and the beauty of your words and thoughts. Like all of your family's friends, we feel privileged to be part of the intimacy and poetry of your postings.

Martha-
Are you planning to add "blogger" to your list of accomplishments? Hope to speak with you tomorrow.

Judah-
Keep fighting the good fight. We love to hear words like "stability" and "stronger" and pray to hear more of these every day.
Love,
Janet and George

 
At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Benji
My eyes filled with tears as I read your beautiful description of the "singer" a couple of days ago and the evocative description of the loss of Joshua today. Your writing as well as that of Issie (and now Martha) has brought us into COH with all of you.
We enjoyed our visit in Beth Tikvah (said a prayer for Judah) and a walk in the rose garden.You are surrounded physically by beauty and emotionally by friends and family who love you.
Love, Stella and Les

 
At 9:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Benji,
That was a beautiful description of the love and intensity of the reality there at COH. I was very touched and will pray for Joshua's family as well.

I'm just about done with Judah's CD that I'm making. I'll send it shortly.

Give my love to Judah, your mom, Issy and Abe. Thinking about you all.

-- Josh

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm off to bed (it's way past my ideal bedtime) but just wanted to quickly post a note. I don't have time or opportunities to go online at work but the second I get home I check in, and my thoughts are with you all day.

Love, Abby C

 
At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Benji -

Thanks for sharing. I will continue to pray for Joshua and his family, along with Judah and yours.

Mara B

 
At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Benji, what a touching and tragic story about Joshua. You write so well. Your descriptions are so detailed and you really capture the essence of what is happening. It's so sad and really puts things in perspective. How amazing that you all offered your sympathy and support for Joshua's family. You are going through so much and yet still have the energy to comfort others. You really are wonderful and very special.
Judah, I hope you have a good, uneventful night tonight and that your body just heals itself, one day at a time.
Goodnight.
Love,
Janet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home