Monday, August 01, 2005

Short Update and an Anecdote from Last Night

Judah is still the same. They've given him a patch to wear in order to help lower his blood pressure. Tonight he looks as if he is actually sleeping, rather than just anesthetized.
Mom will spend tonight at the hotel again which is good because she can really get some sleep while staying very close by. I will stay with Judah again tonight which is good because I can go to the hotel in the afternoon to make up whatever sleep I can't get here.
Last night around 2 am, Judah's machinery started beeping. I got up to look for a nurse (and go to the bathroom) but his nurse wasn't there. I suppose she takes her break around that time. I found a random nurse wandering past me and she offered to fix Judah's IV lines. Cool. I went out into the lobby and I heard someone singing softly, but audibly. It was a deep male voice that was singing some sort of a spiritual or hymn. This man had such a beautiful voice, the kind that rolls at the end of each phrase. I sneaked around some beams because I didn't want him to see me and stop singing out of shyness. He was clearly praying, and he was singing to Jesus. It was otherworldly to hear, reminding me of Robert Mitchum's Preacher in the film The Night of the Hunter. I sneaked back in to the ICU and went back to sleep. Around 4 am I awoke again to look for a nurse (and to go to the bathroom). In the lobby, the same man was singing the same beautiful songs. It seems that there is religion and spirituality hanging out in every corner of this hospital. We receive blessings and prayers every day from the many people we've met here, including our Muslim friends, Hindu friends, Christian friends, and of course, our Jewish friends. Although I don't share this man's faith, it was impressive to hear his resolute faith, and his perseverance. He had been singing alone for hours.
This afternoon I was leaving the hospital when a large African-American man stopped me in the lobby and asked how everything is going. I didn't know him but I assumed he'd met my mom and gotten the low-down. I said that my brother was stable and we are hoping for the best. Then I asked how his family situation was. He told me that he is a pastor (I guessed as much because he had a large Star of David around his neck)and that he and his wife were helping to care for an abandoned young man in the room next to Judah's. I'm still not clear on what he meant by that. He asked for Judah's name so that he could pray for him. Then I asked if he was the man I heard singing all night and he said that he was, and that he saw me last night as I was listening to him. That's how he recognized me. I thanked him for his prayers and offered my own for his young friend, whose name is Joshua. For those of you who believe in prayer, please include Joshua in your thoughts. We all hope for a better day tomorrow.

5 Comments:

At 2:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Judah and the The White Family:

I just had a long chat with Benjamin after being pointed to this blog by Alex D. It sounds like Judah is receiving the best medical care available from his fellow doctors and nurses. For those of us who know Judah, we know that he has a calm resolute spirit and he will not stop fighting. I will be checking in on a regular basis and will keep all of you in my prayers every day.

 
At 4:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ben -

I often sing (and have a whole collection of) Amazing Grace. My two favorite renditions are by Judy Collins and the other by Charlotte Church.

An absolutely beautiful song that is actually quite nondenominational.

It must have been really wonderful to be able to listen in on the Pastor's singing.

Tell Judah to keep progressing forward.

Have a great day to all of you,

Love, Uncle Robby

 
At 5:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear White Family and Judah,
I cannot carry a tune, but love to sing.
My praying has become more intense and spiritual over the last month.
We love you and have you in our prayers. Suzanne

 
At 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Judah Daniel,

Darkey Hashem nistarot---messages of health are sent to you through all kinds of channels, including an African American pastor with an angelic voice. When he sings again, you will be in his tunes. There is no bound to the people who join you in wanting you to be well. Be strenghtened as we intensify our kavanah in prayer for your health.
Martha, Benji and Issy, you are wonderful, never forgetting in the most difficult of times that there are birds singing, flowers blooming and friendships developing. Hashem yevarech etchem.
Rachel

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a beautiful story benji. must have been so moving to hear that singing (on the way to the bathroom).

aud

 

Post a Comment

<< Home