Friday, April 14, 2006

Passover '04 '05 '06

Judah story Passover 04 Passover 05 . The measure of the man . Judah was in the middle of his first stem cell transplant in '04. The setting was a crowded hospital room in the old Bone Marrow Transplant building at the City of Hope. Regular food was an issue for him as he couldn't tolerate most foods, and Passover posed additional restrictions. Judah was determined to keep the laws of the holiday even if it meant eating hard boiled eggs. As a transplant patient during the first 90 days all foods had to be eaten immediately upon cooking. This meant I could not bring him food from home. But as the Seder time came close the hospital staff allowed me to bring in a full Seder meal to be shared with Judah, another patient and the staff. The logistics were interesting, the nurses lounge was kashered, I brought in a hot plate, crock pot, and toaster oven, in addition to all of our kiddush cups, Seder plates and wine, grape juice . For Judah and the other patient, the grape juice was in a sealed container and luckily I found individually wrapped matzah for them, and even found charoset in a jar. At 4 pm. Judah was too weak to get out of bed, but by 6 pm, he forced himself into some clothing, and willed himself strong enough to lead the Seder. He explained the service and chanted the songs . The staff numbering almost ten people were mesmerized by service, and by Judah's strength. It came from with in, His body was just following his will power. When the time came for the meal, he excused him self and went back to his room. We completed the Seder for him at his bed side. The second night, he asked that Alissa, Benji and Grandpa just read the Hagaddah with him, as he was too ill to sit up. Last year, Judah again was facing a transplant, but was moderately well between chemo treatments Once again, he wanted to lead the Seder in the tradition set by Seymour. Every one participates and discussions about the text ensue. At the end of the Seder, Judah looked at every one and thanked each one for coming. It is a moment seared in my brain. My heart knew what I did not want to know.

This year Judah's presence was felt by his absence. Seymour's presence was felt by our loss. Alissa, Benji. Grandpa and I went to Seder's at the Zevit's and Eber's. They acknowledged the empty place in our hearts, but in true Judah and Seymour spirit made wonderful Seders.

2 Comments:

At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have thought about Judah a lot this passover, and deeply worried when I couldn't access this blogspot during that time - I don't know if our server was having problems or what - but I had a great fear that perhaps it had been shut down - and what added loss it would be to lose touch with this blessed connection to the love we share for Judah that this website has been.
Martha, the poignant description you've posted re: your last two passovers with Judah was so vivid I almost felt i was there with all of you, hearing his uniquely calming, menschy voice, enjoying his impish looks, and being steeled by his overriding reverance for occasions where reverance is most due. While these memories you share bring much sadness, they bring greater joy and appreciation for the singular gift Judah's presence was - and continues to be - in our lives. Thank you for keeping his memory and the love we share for him so vibrantly alive despite the great sadness you've had to bear, that no human heart, and certainly no mother should have to bear (I know it is not for me to say, still I say it - they say that Jewish means "to wrestle with God," so the Jewish part of me (I'm sure it's there somewhere!) feels a great need to so wrestle when it comes to the tragedy of his loss).
With love and prayers always - Paul & family

 
At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Martha

I was thinking about you this Passover. I so enjoyed our visit.

Much love, Jill Franklin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home