Saturday, May 13, 2006

Josh story

Heading: Small World.
A friend of mine went Schwartz's bakery to get some challah and cake for his family. His young son likes a certain cake, and he called it stop sign cake. When they asked for the cake by its name Stop sign Cake, the counter girl, said, what kind of a name is this? We call it a Josh cake. Why is it called a Josh cake, my friend asked. The counter girl replied, Well, every week for many years a young rabbinical student would come in and buy this one cake, so we named it Josh cake for him. The story of Josh cake was one Judah would often relate. When Josh would come for Shabbat we would get Josh cake, when Judah and Josh went visiting the Josh cake went with them. Josh is now in Denver, but his fame continues on Pico Blvd.

To all Happy Mother's Day. Hold your dear ones close, tell them you love them. Bring them Josh cake.

2 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Aviv,

I very much enjoyed your Judah story. Please tell us more. With each new story, I learn something new about Judah.

Judah's aunt Marsha

 
At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think of Judah a lot. I am sure most of us do. When all the memories come back there is one story that sticks out in my mind . . .
Dave and I were hanging out in his apartment on Westgate on a Saturday afternoon, just a couple months after we had starting dating. Judah and Lewis (Dave’s roommate) came home from the UCLA football game and Judah announced that he was starving. Dave and I had been to the deli earlier so I proudly offered Judah the other half of my ham and cheese sandwich. Judah just hung is head in disgust and told me that my offer was “wrong on so many levels.” I just think back on that afternoon and laugh. Who would have thought in the next couple of years to come, while I studying for my conversion, that Judah would serve as my Hebrew tutor and on-call consultant? Thanks to Judah’s guidance with my studies I could probably touch on the different levels as to why that ham and cheese sandwich was so wrong. Oh how I miss Judah.
~ Stacie Nemetz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home