Sunday, October 23, 2005

Seven Weeks

I've been visiting friends Sukkahs as well sitting in our own Sukkah. To quote Michael Berenbaum, there is the absence of presence and the presence of absence. Judah is missing, and Judah is here at the same time. The sukkah was his place to leisurely read the newspaper, gather himself together to go to services and have his friends come over for a meal. He would take the lulov and estrog, use the old siddur that Benji got from Akiba in the second grade.Seven weeks, 49 days, an endless gap between then and now.Martha

3 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I was the keeper of the photo used in the Jewish Journal article, I kept the photo between two pages of a folder so nothing would happen to it. Knowing I had to give it back, I put it on a picture frame to stand it up the night before we were to meet. That afternoon Zoe came home and as I was carrying her across the house she pointed at the photo. Now I put the photo in the big armoire, a place she rarely looks or cares about. As I took one step closer to the photo she craned her neck, gave a big smile, waved and said"hi." She kept saying "hi" three of four more times wanting and then almost demanding a response from the photo. I guess that what sums up how I feel right now. I want more but know he is right here with us.

- David

 
At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judah always loved great irony. Judah loves life. Judah loves God. Judah will never be alone.

 
At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Martha,

We thought of you and your family during the holidays. We think of and talk about Judah often. Each day makes it a little easier to remember all the fond memories. The smiles, the laughs, the poker hands he bluffed. Thank you for continuing to write and keep us in your life.

Jon and Aneta

 

Post a Comment

<< Home