Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Yom Kippur

Judah, I am told by is friends, would call prior to Yom Kippur and ask to be forgiven if he in any way offended or stressed their friendship. This year, his voice is still. His message is clear though, Treasure your friendships and relationships.

As the sun is filtered through the coral tree in the back yard, and casts shadows on the porch I am waiting for Issi and Benji to come home for dinner prior to Kol Nidre. It will be hard to pray, as my prayers last year were not heeded. There were so many prayers, special notes placed in the Kotel, prayer vigils organized by Eli, Tehilim read and organized by Abigail C. daily prayers in synagogues all over the country, and every one's personal prayer in what ever voice they could find. Perhaps all the prayers helped keep him with us a bit longer.

Tomorow's Yiskor service shifts to a memorial prayer for him. Too panful for words.

I am looking out at the garden as I write this and am comforted by the fact, Judah loved the garden, the feel of the wind in the den as it passes over the curtains, he loved to photograph light streaming and bouncing against a flower. I feel his presence and it is calming me.

Blessings to you all,

Martha

4 Comments:

At 4:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Martha -

Let me complete Nanette Stahl's prayer:

Now that Yom Kippur is over, let the blessings of the New Year begin.

Love, Robby

 
At 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Whites,

Today at Yizkor, Stacey and I stood and said the memorial blessings for our daughter Isabel, and for my father, and we came to the blessing for friends who have gone, and it asks us to remember the lessons that they taught us. Judah's caring for others, his interest in the world, his curiousity, his love of Judaism, his ability to see small beauty around him, in others and in G-d's creation all were very clear to me, from my experience with him and from listening to other's experiences. I hope to instill those in our daughter Olivia, and I thought of him, and I'm sure that so many others were thinking of Judah today. And of you.

Losing a child is just a mess. There's no color for it, no expletive strong enough to shout, no adjective to describe how you feel. But it is truly inspiring what he was able to give people and what he left behind.

Judah was in the air today, and you all were in many hearts. G'mar hatimah tovah. A good and sweet year to you and those you love.

JJ Meis

 
At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

shalom martha
i admire for your writting it enters my heart and stays there.
be well and chag sameach love avigail

 
At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

shalom martha
i admire for your writting it enters my heart and stays there.
be well and chag sameach love avigail

 

Post a Comment

<< Home