Tuesday, August 30, 2005

A Month ICU Visit

ICU - 30 days
Post Transplant -June 7, 2005- day 83
O2 65%
Saturation 90 %
Temp 36.9
BP 122/54
heart rate 103
3 antibiotics
2 antifungals
platelets
weight, 80 kilo
amiodarone
pentabarbitol
dilauded
dopamine
saline
dextrose
are all part of the daily routine.

Its easy to forget that Judah is the person, not the sum of the numbers. He is heavily sedated, unable to communicate, the essence of him is muted and not available to us. I want so much to talk to him, and to hear him complain that he did not get enough sleep, tell me his latest dream, discuss everything from baseball scores, to medicine, to his analysis of the political scene, I want to hear his easy short laugh, I want to feel him tap me on the right shoulder while he passes me on the left, I want him well.

The doctors are doing their utmost to help Judah out of this mess. Nurses are unbelievably good and kind. Strength and pride come from watching Alissa and Benji care for their brother. Comfort comes from friends and family. Prayer comes from every where. It takes a village to cure an illness.

6 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning,
I thought I would take a moment to list two events that us bloggers are participating in that were created by The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

First, Audrey (Judah’s cousin) has gone a little crazy and is biking 100 miles November 19 in Arizona. Please go the site: http://www.active.com/donations/fundraise_public.cfm?key=tntnycAHenik to learn more about the ride and her fund raising goals. Congrats so far on being almost 50% to your goal of $5,400 (300 x chai [18]).

Secondly, Team J.W. has been created for the UCLA Light the Night Walk on Sept. 18th (a special thanks to Deborah Novak for making this happen). This is a much more manageable 2 mile walk around Westwood. Feel free to email Deb or myself (seasidedeb@earthlink.net or dnemetz@threethirty.com) for more info. Or go to: www.lightthenight.org to register. So far we are expecting 15-20 walkers.

David

 
At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning,
Wishing you all a beautiful and peaceful day with our prayers of healing for you Judah.
I can hardly wait to see you all back on Forrester going about your normal business!!!!
Always thinking of you,
Ruth M

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judah,

It's been a long road, but you'll get there. One small step at a time. I found a picture the other day of you, myself & nemetz carrying lisa leiner during her Hannukah party (from like 10 years ago). I think nemetz was even sporting a beard. Blast from the past. I'll have to bring over a copy.

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon.

Mike L

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judah,

While Karen (my wife) and I were reading the posts and comments last weekend, I tracked down the picture of you and David in the 1988 Lafayette yearbook to show her (since the only contact she MAY have had with you was a random call from you and David after a Lafayette-Lehigh game a few years back). I also couldn't keep myself from telling her multiple stories that she probably didn't get, then laughing to myself . . . to the point that she made me stop.

Stay strong. You remain in my prayers.

Bruce Covahey

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Martha,

How eloquent you are, writing of how difficult it is not to have Judah 'with' you. In just a few words you have told all of us the pain you feel every moment. You are experiencing what every mother and father fears. We can only tremble at the thought of what you are going through. A woman of valor whose value is beyond rubies. My love and respect, MarthaWhite, my friend.
MarthaC

 
At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Martha,
I only hope that when Judah is well again and can read these blogs, you will hear more laughter and complaints from him than you thought possible. Judah, enough now. Wake up, get well and make us all happy!
Love,
Janet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home