Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The Trouble With Judah...

Judah's latest struggle and accomplishment: eating. This is something we all take for granted, but it's of great physical and psychological importance to Judah. He knows he can't go home until he is able to eat, but his body is still struggling with the effects of the transplant on his digestive system. Small steps become very important. Judah ate a small amount of vanilla pudding the other day, but he declared that it tasted metallic and disgusting. Apparently, one of the side effects of this procedure is a change in his taste buds. Today, he managed to eat a cracker, and he tried to work on some red jello, but he found it too sweet. I'm sorry his taste in food has changed, but I wouldn't mind if his taste in movies were to change.

Judah has a profound soft spot for really crappy movies. The worse, the better. Some of his all time favorites include, The Bachelor Party, The Party, and any movie that has any combination of the words Bachelor, Party, and/or Cheeleader in it. Right now he is working on watching MEAN GIRLS. He's tried twice and he's been unable to finish it. Although I haven't seen this film, I know it got some good reviews which may mean that it is not horrible enough a film for him to enjoy. Not to worry, next up on his pile of DVDs is DODGEBALL which I'm sure will make him happy.

We are extremely proud of Judah's continued recovery. It's still going to be a very long and painful process with some complications expected on the way, but it is heartening to see him healing a tiny bit every day.

6 Comments:

At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How'd you like Mean Girls? I found it enjoyable...let me know if you need more crappy movies.
love, tamar

 
At 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Judah,
It was great to see you and chat with you the other day. My folks say it's the best they've seen you in weeks. That's heartening. Your blog has you dabbling in food now. Way ta go.

By the way, I thought Dodgeball was really funny. Saw it on the plane last time I came to America. Chuckled out loud, shamelessly. Hope it brings smiles all around.

Continued love from the Ashlies,
Sharon (from afar from tomorrow) et al

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i loved dodgeball. i watched it a few times on jet blue flying back and forth last year. in fact, shortly after seeing it i saw vince voughn at the burbank airport. enjoy it!

it doesn't seem like whether you can eat should be the gauged by trying to eat hospital food... that's probably how they get otherwise healthy people to stay.

audrey

 
At 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Judah,
It's wonderful to hear that you are starting to eat. We are thinking of you and wishing you more and more good stuff daily!
Michelle, David and Hillary

 
At 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Judah --
Jared is also the king of bad/funny movies. Here are a few of his favorites: Caddyshack, My Blue Heaven, Monty Python Holy Grail, Killer Klowns From Outer Space (obscure, but ubsurd), Fletch, Major League, The Jerk, Spaceballs, Airplane!, Slapshot, and The Big Lebowski. I also have to add Road Trip.
Stay strong.
Love,Karen

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Judah

I tried to send you a note yesterday, but with my inept abilities, I couldn't find the send button!!!

In case you haven't a clue as to who I am ... I am a friend and colleague of your mom's, the mother of Stephanie Steinhaus, who knitted the cap for you on your first go-round with chemo. Both my daughters know you and Benji from at Hami High.

Enough of that ... what a wonderful report today! Your ability to overcome all of what you are going through is miraculous. YOur mom was full of smiles today.

I just want to let you know that my family is rooting for you. And, I am here for you mom, who is a very special lady.

Talk to you soon.

Audrey Steinhaus

 

Post a Comment

<< Home