Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Chanukah
Today is the English anniversary of Seymour's passing. He died on the last day of Chanukah. Alissa, Benji and I lit the candles, sang the songs, ate the latkes, and felt the missing men in our lives.
Judah loved all the holidays. As a young child he identified with Judah the Macabee.He was named for my grandmother Yehudith, (Judith) and Daniel for the Biblical Daniel, who showed bravery and strength. Mehri named her son Danny Seymour for both Judah and Seymour. He will be a year old Dec 31.

We have a collection of Chanukah Menorah's. A very large bronze one that is probably 100 years old. My father found it at an auction of the Higgenson estate upstate New York. It was blackened and neglected. No one else in the area had a clue what it was so we were able to bid $25.00 for it. Another menorah is a wood base with brass circular holders no more than 1/8 of an inch in diameter. Judah made it in grade school. The newest addition to the memorah collection is a wire mesh sculpture of a lion with candle holders along its mane and back. Rounding out the collection is a small oil hanging memorah probably Moroccan, a modern glass and stainless with the Hebrew words forming the backdrop which holds the glass oil cups by the artist Wolpert and the most whimsical one is row of miniature ladies shoes. Missing is a wood menorah Alissa made in elementary . It probably is a victim of the earthquake move.

As I displayed each one, I remember watching the children's face as they watched the candles flicker, and trying to teach them to spin the dreidle. In adult years Judah's poker chips would double for pennies. Judah's favorite gift to give was lottery cards. He would be deliberate in choosing which lotto game to play, the highest amount any one won was two dollars. I am not sure they were cashed in year we are low keying the holidays, just wishing every one a good and meaningful holiday

2 Comments:

At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Hanukkah White Family. I just saw a short film about a guy who is a Hasidic Jew who sings reggae and hip hop songs. I suppose I was struck by it because of my lack of understanding of Hasidim - but it may also be because I live in the land of the similarly-dressed Amish and I just can't imagine an Amishman rapping.

Anyway, his mixture of spirituality and cultural curiousity reminded me of Judah, as do many things. The echoes of his life and spirit will reverberate for a long, long time.

Happy New Year to you. I'm hoping you are finding some solace in your faith, your community, the gigantic circle of people who are thinking of you, and the promise of the future.

Packie

 
At 10:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Martha, Issy and Benji -
Wishing you a peace-filled New Year and all the best.

Denise and I were driving home from a New Year's party with the Holland clan and she commented, "I don't feel like this year's passing is that special. I'm trying to think of what was significant. . . "
I thought for a moment and said, "this was the year we said goodbye to Judah."
"Oh, yes."
And suddenly the profound importance of this year's passing was felt most deeply . . .
Ah Judah,
Precious Judah;
Beloved Judah;
Blessed Judah;
Dearest Judsh . . .
May his grandfather's blessing never cease its powerful echoes in our hearts.
- Paul & family

 

Post a Comment

<< Home