Saturday, December 17, 2005

Fourteen and fifteen weeks

Today I am giving away Judah's Black Buick to Mehri. Its saying good by to a large part of my life.

The Buick Park Avenue was nick named the Mafia Mobile. It had dark tinted windows and gold rims. Its the kind of car you saluted as you looked to see who would emerge from it. Plush seating, sleek looks, the ultimate in driving comfort.
Seymour used his red Toyota until it finally said enough, and then the Buick became his car. Mehri would take him to his medical appointments, loading the wheel chair into the huge trunk and Seymour would direct her as she drove.

When Judah returned from Sackler and Israel, he needed a car. Seymour bought a Solara for himself and gave Judah the Mafia Mobile. Judah loved it. It was big and roomy, with space for his junk aka treasures. But, it too had some problems and was not reliable. At that time Seymour was sick and Judah was driving from Pasadena to LA frequently to see him. The cars were switched with Judah getting the Celica and Seymour using the Buick again. This worked fine for both of them.

Judah loved his Solara as he loved most of his cars. I have heard stories of his cars in Israel. The one I love the most is the story about the car that had a tree growing out of the floor boards.

The Buick has been sitting outside of our home and I am afraid it too will soon be growing trees out of the floor boards. Mehri's family are all mechanics and promise to restore the Buick to its proper status.

It was hard opening the trunk and finding Judah's medical journals, patient notes, old mail, postcards, cable jumpers, chains, drawings and many coins. My friend Judy Eber happened to come by and helped me through some very painful moments.

The Mafia Mobile will continue to live on, as will the Judah and Seymour stories.

M

3 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please tell the story about the tree growing out of Judah's car in Israel?


Nina

 
At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judah and I definitely shared an affinity for funky cars - don't know if you remember my "black and white beauty", Martha - but it was a white chevy sedan with a black panel in the front right end of the car - from having gotten out of my car and putting it in drive while I lifted a security board at UCLA, only to find the car running away and into one of the concrete pillars before I could catch up!
Thinking of you all a lot during this season that was so beloved by Judah - much love, Paul Freese & family

 
At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Buick can't be the car that replaced the red VW bug, can it? I don't know anything about cars. I suppose it's way too long for a car to last. But I remember a boat following the bug (which I loved bc it had this dotted ceiling and if you stared at it long enough some sort of optical thing happened and the dots started to seem like they were on a different plane than the white background) and I remember its power windows, which I thought wwere just the coolest (much to the annoyance of someone--you? Seymour?--who was driving one day and had enough of my sending the windows up and down, up and down, up and down). Is that the Buick?????
Abby C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home