Thursday, July 28, 2005

The Specifics

The following is just my opinion COMPLETELY UNSUBSTANTIATED BY MEDICAL FACT:
I'm really worried about Judah in the short term. His steroids so completely prevent him from meaningful rest that I am afraid that his body will suffer complete exhaustion. That doesn't sound so bad, one might think, because it will force him into rest. I worry that his steroids will inhibit rest even at that stage. It is very painful and difficult to see Judah when he is like this. He descends into elaborate hallucinations that blur reality with dreams. He rings for the nurse and when she comes in, he asks her to sit down with him for the night, explaining that he was ripping open a packet of handiwipes but now they are disappearing. Finally, he catches on that he is disoriented. Every word is interrupted by a gasp for air, giving his speech a frantic quality. I have a hard time understanding why it is so frightening to see him like this. I sit up in my chair and watch him quietly for about 40 minutes, paying attention to his actions. He is suspicious of me. He tries to engage me in conversation but I don't resond. I just watch. His fingers hover over the pink bins that surround him. Each bin is filled with crap; cups, bottles, candies, books, the newspaper, tissue boxes. His fingers twitch in anticipation, like a gunman in the old westerns before a shootout. His eyes dart back in forth, searching for something that is either out of place, or that could be rearranged. He picks up two styrofoam cups, unstacks them, restacks them and puts them back in the pink bin. He rings for his nurse. She comes in. All he wants to know is if he has a packet of Capri Sun juice left on the table. I tell him that I can help him with things like that, but he snaps back for me to stay out of it. I get up, slip my shoes on and tell him that I am going to go to the bathroom. I go instead to the lobby, sit down in the sofa and fall asleep. I can't bear to be in there right now. After a few minutes, I lumber back in the room hoping to find Judah passed out. He is as peppy as ever and it's still only a few minutes past three. He announces that he wants to take a nap, but he doesn't. He can't! I don't care what the steroids are doing FOR him, I hate what the steroids are doing TO him.
At 5:30 I get up for the last time. I spend a few minutes with Judah discussing the night. He is surprised to hear about his behavior, yet he insists that he is coherent. I ask him why he won't take the Ativan that the nurses and doctors keep suggesting. It will help him relax and sleep. He ends the discussion by saying that he doesn't need it, he doesn't like it, and he will not take it. I wonder at what point he will relinquish control over what medications are given to him. I hate to say it, but I fantasize about slipping some Ativan into his IV bags. I wish the nurses would do it for me. He needs to sleep. At 6 am, I leave for the day, hoping that this will be the last time that they have to give him steroids.

11 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Benji,
Courage. Check your email. Love to all, Mrs. C.

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Benji,
Courage. Check your email. Love to all, Mrs. C.

 
At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Benji, you're amazing. Hang in there.

Love the pics - interesting composition.

Rina

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Benji,
You are such an amazing and wonderful person. Please make sure to take care of yourself, and please tell your mom and Judah that you are all in our thoughts, daily.
Michelle, David and Hillary

 
At 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Benji,
It must be so difficult for you to see Judah like this. You are an amazing and supportive brother and son, and there is nothing like family. One step at a time. Hopefully Judah will improve quickly and things will get much better soon.
Love,
Janet

 
At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi benji
yehua and myself are visiting from israel and we came to see your mom and judah. i can not express my feelings in english but maybe even in hebrew i would not find words. be strong refuah shlemah
love to all of you avigail

 
At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear White Family,

You guys are great. Hopefully Judah's sleepless nights will pass soon enough. I wish I had some suggestions....late night t.v. usually does it for me.

Be strong.

Mike

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Benji,
They say that people don't change over time, they just get more so. It sounds that the stress on his system from everything, particularly the steroids is making him more so. He can be stubborn and given to fantasy worlds, but I've never encountered him like the way you described. But I can see it! Hang in there, I wish I could help.

Judah,
MELLOW OUT! :) I know you don't really know what's been happening, and that it's tough for you to let others help, but work on that part. You may need the Adivan so you don't burn your brain out from lack of rest. Of course, I feel helpless and want to dish out all the advice I can from afar so I can feel better. So don't listen to me, listen to your doctors and your brother! :)

Miss you. Looking forward to your birthday.

Gut Shnabbes,

-- Josh

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Benji -
I would be proud to have a brother as loving and dedicated as you are. Please take care of yourself along the way, too. Thanks for the pictures. They are great!

With admiration,
Stephanie G.

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW Benji, you are a terrific observer and writer of reality. Your compassion brings mist to my eyes. You make me feel right there with you, moving from room to lobby and back, visualizing Judah in his stubborn mode. But then, that is all Judah has total control over at this time, and I can understand he does not want to relinquish the power just yet. He might when he is feeling a bit better.
Benji, you have always been the most sensitive and caring person, and this situation just brings it out more. You are truly amazing, requoting so many of Judah's friends.
Judah Daniel will come out of this and will get his sleep. I guess if the doctors are not worried about it....

Shabbat shalom, with much love to all of you, Rachel

 
At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JUDAH!

Enter the patient role! If you don't cooperate they may rescind your grade in Behavioral Science. Take some meds, Watch a bad movie. Sleep will come. (I can't believe I am agreeing with Josh).

Jon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home