Sunday, August 07, 2005

Grandpa, My Hero

Last night there was a uninvited four legged guest of the rodent variety here in the computer room. Pixie sniffed it out. I screamed my best B Horror film scream and ran upstairs. Pixies followed. (She never goes upstairs without Mom.) "Grandpa, grandpa, GRAN PAAAAH" (remember he's deaf) "There's a rat down stairs." "Oh ho ho." he chuckled. "Well you better get down there and do something about it." He was in the process of undressing and had so far taken out the hearing aid, and hung up his pants.

When he realized what I meant he headed downstairs, pantless. "Grand pa, you'd better put some pants on." (our house is a fish bowl and all the lights were still on). He waved it off and headed down stairs one stiff hip at a time."have you got a baseball bat or something?" he asked. I imagined him slugging it out with the little rodent, leaving schmear marks on the walls. In a minute I could hear him and Pixie banging away in the den., "Where is it Pix? Where is it?" He found his walking stick and was banging around trying to out the little rat. "Where is it Pix? Come on you bark all the time, and now not a peep out of you."

A few minutes later he returned, and presumable the rat was gone. I was still upstairs. "Grandpa, you're my hero." "Eh, what'd you say?" "You are my HEE- ROH." Vowel sounds bouncing off the stairwell into his massive and vacant ear drums.

"Mosquito?"

By this time I was crying. Petrified. (I know it's just a mouse/rat, but they scare me.) "Are you nervous honey?" Do you want to sleep upstairs? You can have my room." I declined, sniffled and went back downstairs.

3 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alyssa,
This is just someone's way of letting you know that doing Grandpa/Pixie duty rather than attending to Judah is no soft job...wouldn't it be nice for one peaceful day in which none of the Whites/Wolfs needed to have their strength tested? (If you can't reach the exterminator on Sunday,
rodent catching is best done with an old-fashioned trap and peanut butter. Bet Grandpa Abe even knows how to set the trap, out of Pixie's reach.) Shall I bring a care package?)

Love to the family, I'll see you later.

Comisseratingly,
Andrea

 
At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry not to have been there to chash the rodent for you. Reminds me of my dad, running around, grumbling doing mom's and my bidding.

Much love to the loving family,

Shiks

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the time I found a roach in my parents' kitchen on Rosh Hashana. I called Max, who is supposedly a cat and therefore should've been more than happy to chase a half-dead bug around for a while before putting it out of its misery. He came running and flopped down at my feet, inches away from the roach but totally oblivious because he thought he was going to get his tummy rubbed. Poor little thing, he can't handle more than one thought at a time and the possibility of a good tummy rub is pretty all-consuming. Needless to say, the roach was disposed of otherwise.

Am waiting to hear more & G-d willing better from you...

Love, Abby C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home