Sunday, January 29, 2006

Rabbits, Kiddush Cups, Findings

Every Shabbat dinner we set out the kiddish cups at each place. Each kiddush cup has a story to tell. The oldest kiddush cup is silver with elat stone around the top circled with a Yeminite filigree pattern. Seymour brought this back from Israel probably in 1959. This was his first trip to Israel. He traveled with Murray Epstein, met up with Jay Liveson, and dated a girl named Dani, and had a friend somewhere in Bersheeva, that he sent me to visit and who I never found One of Seymour's favorite movies, now on video, was Where are You Daniel Waks? about a reunion of high school friends. Always the romantic , Seymour thought I would find this guy and get them both in touch with each other. After a fruitless search of the housing projects in Beer Sheva I realized that this was not going to happen. In stead I came home to connect with Seymour and get married a few months later.

There is a glass kiddush cup that Alissa brought home from one of her trips to Israel, it graces our Seder table at Passover. A set of 6 small silver cups was added after a find in an antique store. Some how I have my brother Rob's kiddush cup from his Bar Mitzvah, probably sent by Dad after my mother died. Silver baby cups were enlisted in Kiddush cup service.

Each Friday, as I bring out the kiddush cups I try to remember its story. One year I bought kiddush cups for Judah and Benji and had their names engraved upon it. Identical cups, so there would no jealousy. Benjamin Gideoni and Judah Daniel in hebrew. As I place the cups at the table, I rub them with a soft cloth to bring out the shine. I close my eyes as Benjamin recites the kiddush and see Judah standing there with his voice lowered, his Israeli accent, and his face as he chanted the blessings. Benji is the melodic one in this family, would try to keep the rest of us on tune, pitch and beat. The best I can say is we tried.

Judah loved to take walks in the Gardens at the City of Hope. He enjoyed the cavorting of the squirrels and loved to watch the rabbits forage for food. One day soon after Judah passed, a rabbit graced our front porch. It has always been a symbol of Judah for me. Today, after daily minyan, I saw the rabbit grazing under the bushes on the front lawn. I just cried. I feel Judah's spirit all around.

In fact, in getting prepared for a trip to Israel next week, I found a book in our library called the Holy Land, a page folded in half stuck out. It was a note from Judah

Happy Birthsday Mom,
This is a just to give you a little incentive to come visit during the year. It seemed the most informative of the what's available today. Enjoy it.
Love Judah,

your son wiszth the Israelian accent

So very Judah

P.S. The blogger has an anonymous button, but it also has a place to put your name. Its comforting to know who has written. If you just want to put your initials that would be wonderful too.
M

5 Comments:

At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Martha, I am not a great believer in coincidences, I think that you just happened to pull that book and that it just happened to have Judah’s note in it for you is G-d way and Judah’s way of letting you know he is still with you and the family. And I bet he will be with you in Israel for sure.

 
At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi martha,

have a wonderful trip. i hope that being away helps you to remember more happy judah memories.

love,
tamar

 
At 12:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Martha,
We thought of you all during our trip to Vietnam. I know that Seymour had his birthday and that you were married in January. We have wonderful memories and like the stories associated with the kiddish cups. We leave for Israel Sunday, Feb. 5.
We love you much and truly admire you for all that you do for everyone and the way you live. You are our role model and we are blessed to have you in our lives.
Suzanne and Stuart

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had dinner the other night with Mike Woznica, Gary Lainer, and Ron Pardo. The first thing we did was toast Judah, as it is in his honor that we are now sitting down together for dinner on a regular basis.

Your trip to Israel (which, as you know, coincides with that of my parents) stirs up so many memories for me of Ulpan. Judah and I were pretty much inseparable. We hiked together, goofed off together, but mostly made it a point to consciously enjoy our youth together. He was -- and is -- for me that most beautiful of paradoxes: the youngest person I ever met who was at the same time an old soul.

I miss him, as I do you all, and hope we can all reconnect sometime soon. Have a safe trip.

B'shalom,

David

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you all for keeping our precious Judah alive and vibrantly part of our days. For as Amy so beautifully reminds us, Judah is not simply a memory, but one whose moving presence and quality as a full human being touched and shaped us and continues to - perhaps even more so now. Who among us has not felt his radiance connecting our intestinal and spiritual fiber? - and I believe not only now, but for all time.
Much love, Paul F. & family

 

Post a Comment

<< Home